first year experience (FYE) fee
The one-time First Year Experience fee* includes: the Student Success Pathway Preference Form and Placement, Coordinated Care Advising, Pre-Orientation, Orientation and First Year Experience activities. The fee is $324 and will be billed to your Student Account on or after August 5 and due August 20.
Student Success Pathway Preference Form: (Steps to Enroll)
All first-year students are placed in a student success pathway to connect you academically and socially to the campus community. Your student success pathway, which includes your first-year learning communities, pre-enrolled courses, and your assigned Coordinated Care Advisor, is determined using the information provided on either the Residential or Commuter form listed in the Steps to Enroll. The completion of one of these forms is critical to your fall course registration and your experience at New Student Orientation.
Pre-Orientation (Ensure you complete before your orientation day)
- A robust set of pre-orientation modules specifically made for new students, which provide an overview of SDSU’s resources and services through text, photos and videos. The pre-orientation modules are intentionally created to assist in your transition to college, learn about resources and services and provide a foundation for your success at SDSU. In addition, mandatory training for all SDSU students is incorporated into the modules, therefore you’ll want to make sure you complete them by the deadline. Registration holds will be placed if these trainings are not completed.
- SDSUCard: To receive your SDSUcard you will need your Student ID number and an acceptable form of Identification. How to get your card step-by-step video.
New Student Orientation
During your orientation, you will participate in a variety of sessions to further support your transition to SDSU and your course registration process, including:
- A small group session led and facilitated by an SDSU Ambassador. You will also meet other students in your major and/or college.
- An assistant dean session where they will share resources and services available through your college to support your success at SDSU.
Coordinated Care Advisors, Staff Advisors and SDSU Ambassadors to assist you with your course registration for fall 2023.
First Year Experience Activities
Once you have attended orientation and registered for fall 2023 classes, you will continue to have opportunities during your first year to get connected and make SDSU your new home. Below is a list of activities, events and initiatives that will support your success at SDSU!
- Coordinated Care Advising
- Coordinated Care Advisors (CCAs) are assigned to all new first-year students to serve as their designated personal advisor. CCAs will support students in navigating the university resources, procedures, and academic advising tools and will proactively reach out to you to schedule academic advising meetings throughout the year.
- New Student and Family Convocation
- Welcome Week
- Student Involvement Expos
- Aztec Nights
- First Year Experience Programming
- General Advising & Retention Support Specialist Sessions
- Certified Mentors and Mentor Programming
- Student Life Involvement Specialists
- University Seminars
- And more!
The First Year Experience Fee ($324) will be billed on or after August 5 and due Only the Parent and Family Programs Fee is due at time of reserving your orientation date, if you select Parent and Family Orientation. See below for payment terms and conditions.
PARENT AND FAMILY PROGRAMS FEE $55/$25
There is a one-time Parent and Family Programs fee of $55 for the first parent/guest and $25 for each additional parent/guest which includes Parent and Family Orientation AND membership in the Aztec Parents Association for as long as the student is attending SDSU. This will be due on or after May 9 as part of the New Student Orientation registration process. Starting on June 16, registration will also include a $15 late fee. The last day to register for New Student Orientation is June 30.
The Parent and Family Programs fee also includes:
- Parent and Family Pre-Orientation Modules Available (sent via email)
Parent and Family Orientation
- Parent and Family Welcome + Parents as Partners in Student Success
- The overview will discuss successful transitions, making connections on campus, student wellness, achieving academic success and the role of SDSU parents and families.
- College Session with Assistant Dean
- Meet your student’s Assistant Dean and learn highlights about the college.
- SDSU Ambassador Panel
- An opportunity to talk with current students about life at SDSU.
- And more!
- New Student and Family Convocation
- News for Aztec Parents Magazine
- Family Weekend
- Parent and Family e-Newsletter (monthly)
- SDSU Parent & Family Facebook Group (official)
- Parent Liaison
Benefits of the Aztec Parents Association
The Aztec Parents Association encourages parents and families to become involved and stay involved while their student attends SDSU. Aztec Parent Programs offer opportunities for engagement through participating in special events such as Parent and Family Orientation, New Student and Family Convocation and Family Weekend. Aztec Parent Programs also communicates regularly to keep you informed about what is going on at the university, including the News for Aztec Parents Magazine, the official Parent & Family Facebook group and our monthly e-newsletter.
*NOTE: All registered guests are required to attend the Parent and Family Orientation. Guests younger than 15 years of age are not encouraged to attend.
There will be NO CANCELLATIONS or REFUNDS for orientation reservations. This applies to students whose admission to the university is rescinded (see payment terms and conditions below), as well as those who ultimately decide not to attend SDSU.
Payment options for the Parent and Family Programs Fee (the FYE student fee will be billed separately):
CREDIT CARD: As part of the online reservation process, payment may be made by credit card. MasterCard, VISA, American Express and Discover are accepted.
ELECTRONIC CHECK: As part of the online reservation process, payment may be made by electronic check.
CHECK: You must PRINT OUT your confirmation page and mail a copy of it with your check. If your check does not clear through Student Account Services, the returned check fee is $35.
Make the check payable to: SDSU
Please include the student's ID number on the check.
Mail payments to:
Student Account Services
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-1425
By completing this SDSU New Student Orientation reservation, I understand that I will be billed for the First Year Experience (FYE) Fee ($324) on or after August 5 to my Online Student Account (due by August 20) and that a portion of this fee helps cover my attendance and participation in New Student Orientation. In addition, I acknowledge that if I added a Parent and Family Orientation to my reservation, I am responsible for payment of the Parent & Family Programs Fee ($55/$25) upon completion of my reservation today. If I am eligible for Financial Aid, I understand that if I do not have enough aid to pay the FYE fee, a bill will be added to my student account, and I will be responsible for payment.
I agree to the cancellation/refund policies of San Diego State University for both the First Year Experience and the Parent & Family Programs Fees. If I, or my guest(s), decide not to complete New Student Orientation for any reason (including my admission to the University being rescinded) I understand: 1) the First Year Experience Fee and/or Parent & Family Programs Fee will not be canceled/refunded to me and 2) if for some reason, my payment is reversed, I will be billed for the First Year Experience Fee, Parent & Family Programs Fee and any other applicable charges related to the payment reversal. I further understand any changes to my reservation will result in a $20 fee.
(NOTE: Dates and information subject to change)