PARENT AND FAMILY ORIENTATION - freshman students
To register for Parent and Family Orientation you can select this option during your student's registration for New Student Orientation. There is a one-time Parent Program fee of $55 that includes the orientation AND membership in the Aztec Parents Association (see below).
Parent and Family Pre-Orientation
- July 6th: Parent and Family NSO Modules (sent via email)
- On your registered Parent and Family Orientation date (same date as your student)*
Presented in English on all freshman orientation dates.
- Please note: On July 11 we will present programs in both English and Spanish.
The following synchronous sessions will be live via Zoom and will receive your personalized Zoom link via email the day before your Parent and Family Orientation in July.
1:00 pm - 2:15 pm PDT
Parent and Family Welcome and Student Services Overview
The overview will discuss successful transitions, making connections on campus, student wellness, achieving academic success and the role of SDSU parents.
2:30 pm - 3:30 pm PDT
College Session with Assistant Dean
Meet your student’s Assistant Dean and learn highlights about the college.
3:45 pm - 4:30 pm PDT
SDSU Ambassador Panel
An opportunity to talk with current students about life at SDSU.
Orientación para padres y familias en español (Spanish Parent and Family Orientation) - July 11
9:00 am - 10:30 am PDT
Orientación para padres y familiares bienvenida y descripción general de los servicios para estudiantes Zoom Sesión
En este taller aprenderá sobre los Servicios Estudiantiles disponibles. Aprenderá como su estudiante podrá unirse al campus, y sobre el bienestar del estudiante, y como lograr el éxito académico.
10:30 am - 11:45 am PDT
Asuntos Financieros Zoom Sesión
En esta sesión aprenderá información general acerca de la Librería de SDSU, Comedor de SDSU, el proceso para el pago de cuentas y las tres funciones de la tarjeta de SDSU. Incluyendo información sobre U.S. Bank.
2:30 pm - 3:30 pm PDT
College Session with Assistant Dean Zoom Session/Sesión universitaria con el asistente Dean Zoom Session (esta sesión se presenta en inglés, las familias pueden asistir si lo desean.)
Meet your student’s Assistant Dean and learn highlights about the college./Conozca al Decano de Asuntos Estudiantiles y aprenda acerca del colegio de su estudiante
- New Student and Family Convocation
- Aztec Parents Association
- Family Weekend
- Parent and Family Newsletter (monthly)
* Subject to change
Why attend Parent and Family Orientation?
Parent and family involvement plays a key role in the academic success of students during their college years. For this reason, SDSU provides a virtual Parent and Family Orientation. Research shows that students whose parents and family complete Parent and Family Orientation are more likely to earn a higher grade point average and to persist to their second year of school.
Families that register for Parent and Family Orientation will:
- Receive a link to online modules full of valuable information to help you support your student at SDSU.
- Benefit from an SDSU Parent & Family Welcome
- Engage in an Ambassador Panel and College Session
- Have the opportunity to attend a live (Zoom) session with the Assistant Dean for your student's college on your student's registered orientation date.
After completing the Parent and Family Orientation program, you will:
- Know how to contribute to the personal development and academic success of your student
- Be introduced to academic programs and student support services
- Become a member of the Aztec Parents Association (see below). Your registration includes the membership for as long as your student is enrolled at SDSU.
- Learn what it means to be a member of the SDSU community
- Know about your student's academic program and campus policies and procedures
Among parents who completed a program evaluation, 96% recommended completing Parent and Family Orientation to future Aztec parents. Even if you have another student in college and/or if you are a local parent, it is important to complete Parent and Family Orientation to learn about SDSU’s programs and services and how your student can successfully graduate in a timely fashion.
Aztec Parents Association
Parents as Partners in contributing to student success!
Parents and families have a personal connection to SDSU through the Aztec Parents Association.
Members of the Aztec Parents Association will:
- Stay informed about what's going on at SDSU through email and social media.
- Be informed about opportunities for involvement.
- Be invited to exciting activities.
- Receive News for Aztec Parents magazine twice a year (mailed, or digital--your choice!)
- Have a knowledgeable, personal contact on campus whenever you have questions or concerns.
Your membership in the Aztec Parents Association will start when you register Parent and Family Orientation and will remain active as long as your student is enrolled at SDSU.
(NOTE: Information is subject to change)